Yes, Tomcat is a regular web server as well as an application server.

To use Tomcat as your web server,
1. Don't run the Apache2 web server.

2. Configure Tomcat to listen on the correct HTTP port. In
conf/server.xml where it says
<Connector port="8080"
change it to
<Connector port="80"
(or whatever port Apache 2 was using - could be different depending on
how your gateway router is set up)
--
Len