I know this has been discussed, but I seem unable to find much about it
other than a comment by Yoav Shapira.
Environment: Tomcat 5.5.20 with no apache front end. The http connector
adds a trailing slash to the top level rerquest to a web app like as
follows:

http://tspilot.oclc.org/gsafd ==> http://tspilot.oclc.org/gsafd/

the connector issues the redirection code (320?).

Is there a way to tell the connector to not do this?
If not, what is a method that I can use to achieve this effect (i.e.
some use of an apache front end and filtering components).

I have UrlRewriteFilter installed at the applet level.
Is there a discussion regarding why this behavior was implemented