Tomcat itself is pure java and completely platform independent -- no need to build from source at all. Just download it from the tomcat website and expand it in your system to install it. It can go pretty much anywhere in the file system and still work. I would highly recommend you get a real Java JVM from Sun and make sure your system isn't going to try to use gnu java or one of those other open source java distribution. Those open source java's are alright for desktop apps, but don't work well enough for tomcat.

You could use the pre-package version of tomcat available with your Fedora system, but a lot of people have problems with those distro packages. They want to do complicated symlinks schemes to insure there's only ever one copy of any given jar and that typically breaks tomcat.

--David

John Pye wrote:
Hi all

I have a pre-written Tomcat application that I would like to install on
my Fedora 7 server. There are binaries for Tomcat available for this
linux distro, so theoretically I assume it should be possible to run a
Tomcat instance on this platform without having to compile Tomcat from
sources. I'm not a java expert though, so I don't really know where to
start with that.

The application that I'm trying to install is called actiTIME and its
installation instructions are here:
http://www.actitime.com/installation_guide_unix.html

Cheers
JP