I apologize if this has been asked before or if it's mentioned in a FAQ
(that I haven't found yet) but what are the best practices for deploying
webapps across a cluster?

The situation I will soon have is 6 application servers running Tomcat
5.5 and the manager webapp, each able to mount a filer over NFS. The
build/deployment tool in use is Maven 2.x. Should I:

a) Put the WAR files on the filer and just set up contexts like this

<Context path="/foo"
          docBase="/path/to/wars/on/the/filer/foo.war">

On a new release, overwrite the foo.war and reload the context on all
the app servers

or

b) Put the WAR files on local storage on each app server and use M2's
cargo plugin to redeploy the WAR file on each release?

c) Other?

- Juilan

--
-- Julian C. Dunn, P.Eng. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
-- Assistant Team Lead, Media Production Support, CBC Technology