You should probably create a servlet that serves external files...

Yuval Perlov
www.r-u-on.com

On Mar 7, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Maffitt, David wrote:

I agree that that is the most likely response and that there are good reasons why links are a bad idea. To counter that though, if that were strictly true, the allowLinking attribute should not be provided. Given that links are allowed, the principle of least astonishment dictates that tomcat should treat soft links like the OS does and just delete the link. Perhaps another attribute like 'deleteLinksRecursively' is needed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 06:48 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: sym link to serve documents within web application.

Christopher Schultz wrote:
David,

Maffitt, David wrote:
| We have a different problem with this. Tomcat will follow the link
| and delete the contents of the linked-to directory when the app is
| redeployed. We have to be sure that the link is deleted before
| redeploying. Not a problem if one always deploys from a script but a
| potential disaster if someone just drops the new war in webapps.
| This is not the behavior we were expecting.  Is this a bug or a
| feature? :->

I would file it as a bug, though you're likely to get a response like
"if it's not part of the webapp, what is it doing in there" and "your
webapp should be completely self-contained", etc.

Yep, that is exactly the response you'll get ;)

Mark

The materials in this message are private and may contain Protected Healthcare Information. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return mail.