I can't speak for the OP, but as a long time Mac user, I know TextEdit's default output is richtext. It's a really annoying behavior of TextEdit. The OP should use either vi (if they're brave or have experience in it) or a developer IDE like NetBeans or Eclipse to write the initial file. After that I believe TextEdit can be used and will leave the file as text on future saves.

--David

Alan Chaney wrote:
I'd guess that you copied the text in the tutorial using an editor which converted it to an RTF
(Rich Text Format). The text you show in your email  is rtf markup.

The startup_tomcat file is a shell script which is setting the following environment variables

JAVA_HOME   - where you have installed our java sdk
JRE_HOME - the java runtime
CATALINA_HOME - the location of your tomcat files

You can set these 'by hand' by typing the lines in at the command line. Its better to set them in the .bashrc file.

Hope that helps

maxchoc wrote:
I'm trying to install Tomcat 6.0.16 on Leopard. I'm following a tutorial on <http://swetnam.wordpress.com/2007/12/15/installing-apache-tomcat-6-on-os-x/>

I've gotten to the point of trying to start tomcat on my mac but when in the
Terminal, I get the following

sh-3.2# ./start_tomcat
./start_tomcat: line 1: {rtf1ansiansicpg1252cocoartf949cocoasubrtf270:
command not found
./start_tomcat: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
./start_tomcat: line 2: `{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}'

What am I missing?

Thanks

marlene