Environment:

Tomcat 5.5.20, no apache frontend.
Running XSLTFIlter and urlrewrite in front of the tomcat.
WE are implementing a RESTful webservice (tspilot) on top of a SRU service

on the connector going into tomcat I have:

  <Connector port="18888"
      allowTrace="true"
      maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
      maxThreads="150"
      minSpareThreads="25"
      maxSpareThreads="75"
      enableLookups="false"
      redirectPort="38888"
      acceptCount="100"
      connectionTimeout="20000"
      disableUploadTimeout="true"
      URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

Problem:
Somewhere in tomcat the UTF-8 encoded chatacters are getting munged.  For
example, one query has a accented a as in:  Romans à clef.

this goes through XSLTFilter and Urlrewrite and comes out (partially)

/gsafd/?query=oclcts.terms+%3D+%22Romans+a%CC%80+clef%22&version=1.1&operation

somewhere in tomcat the cc 80 get munged into c3 8c c2 80.

WHere else besides the connector definition in the server.xml, should I look to
find this.  The implementor of the SRW/U code is convinced that the problem is
in tomcat some where as he does not get this same error.