On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  > but so far I've not seen memory usage go over 1G.
>
>  There is (or at least was) a bug in the Sun 1.4.2 JVM that didn't do the
>  arithmetic right when heap sizes were over 2GB due to treating some
>  unsigned values as signed.  You really should move up to a much more
>  current JVM.

I plan to test running with a newer JVM shortly.  I have been told by
the developers that the application needs to run under 1.4.2.  We
shall see.

>  Put in a 64-bit OS and a 64-bit JVM.  While you're at it, try running a
>  newer Tomcat.

Yes indeed.  All what I am planning to do.  In the meantime I have to
get the most out of what I have, while I work out what combination of
JVM / Tomcat / OS will work with the application, and while I get the
dev team to rewrite code that won't work.

>  If you must stick with a 32-bit environment, you could run multiple
>  Tomcats, one for each webapp you have, assuming you have more than one.

How about running eg 3 x xen vms?  The machine seems rarely pushed for
CPU, and with 3 vms I could load balance across them.

>   - Chuck

S.