> From: Stephen Nelson-Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I have a new machine with 8G of RAM, running a 32 bit 2.6 kernel
> (CentOS 5).  It is running an application inside 4.1.37 with Java
> 1.4.2.
[...]
> What's the best way to make to most of the RAM?

1) 64-bit OS.

2) 64-bit JVM.

3) Newer Tomcat.  Tomcat's own data structures shrank somewhat from 4.x -> 5.0
-> 5.5.  I've not looked at 6 yet.

4) If the developers say the app "needs" 1.4.2, find out *exactly* why.  Does
it *need* 1.4.2 or will they only *support* it on 1.4.2?  The former is a
technical limitation, the latter a business decision that each business can
negotiate about (along the lines of "OK, pay us more money for support and
we'll train someone on the current generation of VMs").

                - Peter