Peter Stavrinides wrote:
Unfortunately this solution doesn't solve it, I can only override 404 pages?, for 503 pages it simply ignores the override in web.xml, anybody got any other suggestions?

I thought used to be possible to customise the built in error pages with XSL, but I can't seem to find any evidence of that in 6.x.

You *might* be able to write a Valve (configured in server.xml, under the Host) that acts early enough in the request / response cycle to return a different page, but I am in fact speculating wildly.

The org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve uses a StringBuilder to create HTML and sends it to a Writer, which might make things difficult.

Valves aren't too tricky to write so it would be easy/quick to experiment and see if it works.

Peter Stavrinides wrote:
Oh thanks! that sounds quite simple... so I just add my error page descriptor in the ROOT applications web.xml and it will override.

David Delbecq wrote:
The easiest way i found out here was to use the 404 of the ROOT web
application ^^ to display a 'site under maintenance'.

You could also create a ROOT/<webappname>/index.html  to get same result

En l'instant précis du 19/03/08 11:55, Peter Stavrinides s'exprimait en
ces termes:
Hi all,

How do I display a friendly error page (503 site under maintenance) if my application is taken off-line? I understand how to override error pages with my application running, but can I, and where do I configure a 503 when its down, but Tomcat is still running.

Thanks
Peter