You can't override the 503 error page using an <error-page>
declaration. :-(  The only way I know of to change it is to replace
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve with your own version,
which you specify in the "errorReportValveClass" attribute of the
<Host> element in server.xml. I haven't tried this, but it's
documented for Tomcat 5.5 and 6.0.
--
Len