Christopher,

Christopher Schultz wrote:
> Have you been able to compare the numbers of those objects after, say,
> 100 requests with the same object counts after, say, 10000 requests?
It
> /is/ possible that Tomcat is leaking memory per connection, but very
> unlikely given that thousands of servers are humming along quite
nicely
> without such problems.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have looked at the change in number of
objects over time, and the only objects that appear to be leaked
consistently are the following (the number is the increase in object
count over a typical 10 minute period, with about 2000 requests):

org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk    10437
org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.CharChunk    8946
org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.MessageBytes 7881

Other object types, including byte[] and char[], vary wildly in each 10
minute period, presumably depending on exactly what's going on at the
time of the sample.

I'm trying to find a tool that will show me which objects are holding
onto references to these Tomcat objects, but haven't had much success so
far - any suggestions gratefully received.

> The only really good way to figure out what's happening is to
instrument
> your JVM and then test the hell out of it. Use JMeter to generate load
> (serial or concurrent) and observe the heap, etc. You might even try
> disable some of the SOAP methods you are testing to see if this leak
> only occurs with certain calls, or combinations of calls.

That's what I'm doing now...  I will also try Filip's suggestion of
disabling string caching.  Sadly jmap doesn't work on this system
because the heap is large and jmap always crashes with an
OutOfMemoryError due to the 2GB heap limit in the JVM.  I haven't used
JMeter before but will look into it.

Thanks,
Tom.