Hi all,

No more help required - I traced back all the references to the Request
objects and it did turn out to be a bug in my application code.  One of
my tracing classes (written a long time ago, before we used Tomcat) was
caching all created Thread objects.  So when Tomcat decided to allocate
new threads to process incoming requests (and un-referenced the old
ones), my application cached the old threads and they slowly leaked.
I'm assuming that Tomcat only does this when handling multiple
concurrent connections (i.e. threads are reused when handling
single-threaded connections), hence the fact that I could only reproduce
the problem when sending in concurrent requests.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Tom.