Hello Randy,

Randy Paries schrieb:
Hello,

i am running apache-tomcat-5.5.15 on a FC4 box

First i need to explain a little how my site is set up..

We have 1000's of users that have their own  document directory

So for example a users URL is http://www.mydomain.com/randy
their document root is /home/users/r/randy

as another example http://www.mydomain.com/fred would be
their doc root would be  /home/users/f/fred

currently they go to http://www.mydomain.com/fred/index.html and i
want to replace index.html with index.jsp

So if i do http://www.mydomain.com/fred/index.jsp , i get:

404 - message /fred/index.jsp
description The requested resource (/fred/index.jsp) is not available.

i do not want my users to have to do http://www.mydomain.com/f/fred/index.jsp

I did find an article that suggested making sure to load mod_jk before
mod_rewrite

Are you only talking about mod_jk, because it was in the article? mod_jk is used to connect Apache httpd to Tomcat. I didn't see httpd mentioned above. So if you don't use it, I expect that you find a solution to your problem without introducing it here.

The term on the Tomcat side is the welcome file list (element welcome-file-list in web.xml). It's a standardized terminology for Java webapps.

Talking about welcome files (like index.html or index.jsp) you need to distinguish between the URLs the user should know/use/send, and the local objects that actually get send back.

If you use welcome files like index.html or index.jsp, then usually the URL the user send does not include it and magically he gets back the file instead of a directory index or an error page. He could call the welcome file directly with a URL, but then it's just used as a simple file like all others.

S which URLs should your users be able to send, and which file should they get back? And what does already work, and what should work after fixing your problem?

Regards,

Rainer

But i am not sure what else i Need to do

Any Suggestions? or is this even possible?

Thanks
Randy