On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 3:39 AM, Rainer Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Randy,
>
>  Randy Paries schrieb:
>
> > Hello,
>  >
>  > i am running apache-tomcat-5.5.15 on a FC4 box
>  >
>  > First i need to explain a little how my site is set up..
>  >
>  > We have 1000's of users that have their own  document directory
>  >
>  > So for example a users URL is http://www.mydomain.com/randy
>  > their document root is /home/users/r/randy
>  >
>  > as another example http://www.mydomain.com/fred would be
>  > their doc root would be  /home/users/f/fred
>  >
>  > currently they go to http://www.mydomain.com/fred/index.html and i
>  > want to replace index.html with index.jsp
>  >
>  > So if i do http://www.mydomain.com/fred/index.jsp , i get:
>  >
>  > 404 - message /fred/index.jsp
>  > description The requested resource (/fred/index.jsp) is not available.
>  >
>  > i do not want my users to have to do
> http://www.mydomain.com/f/fred/index.jsp
>  >
>  > I did find an article that suggested making sure to load mod_jk before
>  > mod_rewrite
>
>  Are you only talking about mod_jk, because it was in the article? mod_jk
>  is used to connect Apache httpd to Tomcat. I didn't see httpd mentioned
>  above. So if you don't use it, I expect that you find a solution to your
>  problem without introducing it here.
>
>  The term on the Tomcat side is the welcome file list (element
>  welcome-file-list in web.xml). It's a standardized terminology for Java
>  webapps.
>
>  Talking about welcome files (like index.html or index.jsp) you need to
>  distinguish between the URLs the user should know/use/send, and the
>  local objects that actually get send back.
>
>  If you use welcome files like index.html or index.jsp, then usually the
>  URL the user send does not include it and magically he gets back the
>  file instead of a directory index or an error page. He could call the
>  welcome file directly with a URL, but then it's just used as a simple
>  file like all others.
>
>  S which URLs should your users be able to send, and which file should
>  they get back? And what does already work, and what should work after
>  fixing your problem?
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Rainer
>

>  > But i am not sure what else i Need to do
>  >
>  > Any Suggestions? or is this even possible?
>  >
>  > Thanks
>  > Randy

Rainer, thanks for the response...

sorry, i should have mentioned that i am using apache 2 and mod_jk.
apache 2 is taking care of all the images and static content.

so currently http://www.mydomain.com/randy works cause there is an
index.html in that users dir /home/users/r/randy/index.html.

what i was trying to figure out was how to replace the index.html with
index.jsp.  I have modified the httpd.conf to recognize the index.jsp

I hope that clarifies alittle more
Thanks
Randy