To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:36 AM
Subject: RE: deployment questions

From: Kimberly Begley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: deployment questions

1) make a war file of my web app directory

Yes.

2) add a context entry to the server.xml file on the remote server

Unless you're deploying on an ancient version of Tomcat (you didn't
bother to tell us), definitely not.  Your <Context> element belongs in
your webapp's META-INF/context.xml file, if you need one at all.  Note
that path and docBase attributes are not allowed in <Context> elements
in this circumstance.  Read the doc:

3) copy the war file to the remote server tomcat/webapp directory

That's usually webapps, not webapp.

4) stop and start tomcat on the remote server

Usually not necessary, unless autoDeploy is disabled.

But then what is the process to see it online?

The name of the .war file is the name of the webapp, so you reference it
via a URL like:
http://<hostDNSname>[:port]/<appName>

If Tomcat on the remote host is configured to use port 80, you omit that
from the URL, of course.  If the host has no DNS entry, use its IP
address.

- Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.