Actually another question is what is it in your application that NEEDS 2500 threads? What does the application do? Is it 3rd party or in house?

Normally the creation of a thread is considered an expensive operation and typically one tries to avoid creating new threads all over the place. Hence thread pools as used by tomcat.

Peter Crowther wrote:
From: Stephen Caine [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I have a process that generates hundreds of threads.  Running on Mac
OS X 10.5.2 Server, the thread count tops out at approximately 2500.
After which, the process is terminated.  The heap size is set to 1
gigabyte.  My question is how to increase the capacity of the JVM to
handle more threads.  Is the value of 2500 an absolute limit, or can
it be modified by setting the thread allocation, increasing heap size
or the use of another java option?

I'm not a Mac person, but... does the Mac JVM use native threads?  In which
case, the 2500 (plus other threads) could be an OS limit that has changed in
10.5.

If you have time, what causes a process to generate threads?

Calls to the API that generates a thread.  Next?

                - Peter

!DSPAM:47f507bc127041839419991!