On 3-Apr-08, at 11:27 AM, Stephen Caine wrote:
Yong,

Are you running on 32-bit or 64-bit JVM on OS X 10.5.2?
If you are running java without -d64, it would be running 32-bit by default.

Typicaly around 2000 or so is the thread number limit on 32-bit process due to its virtual address space limit (1 thread may claim 1MB of virtual space for stack). Running java with -d64 will invoke 64-bit JVM on leopard, and should increase the threads limit accordingly. The actual physical heap space is different story. It needs to increase only if you app/thread really use/allocate memory.

But I am wondering why Tiger server did not have the issue. AFAIK, 64-bit JVM is only available on Leopard.

This is the exact route I was thinking. We have an XServe running 10.5, so I want to run in 64 bit mode. I think I am currently in 32 bit mode as I have not set any special flag to change the default. I have found the magic flag, -d64, but I do not know where to set this. We are using a start up script as follows:

#!/bin/sh
export CATALINA_HOME=$2
export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home
export JAVA_OPTS="-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:+MaxFDLimit -server - Djava.awt.headless=false"
cd "$CATALINA_HOME"
cd bin
./startup.sh

Where (and how) is the 64 bit flag set?

Add to here:
export JAVA_OPTS="-d64 -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:+MaxFDLimit -server - Djava.awt.headless=false"

Yong

Thank you for your assistance.

Stephen Caine
Soft Breeze Systems, LLC