Thanks for the quick reply, Francis!

My httpd.conf file doesn't have a single VirtualHost defined because I
am using mod_jk to forward all the requests to Tomcat. Otherwise I
understand how your solution would have worked. :)

I have alternate solution that involves changing Tomcat's server.xml
(which I've outlined below). However, its not as clean as using
mod_rewrite.

Thanks,
Shashi

Change tomcat/conf/server.xml as follows....
<Host name="xyz.com" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
   <Context path="" docBase="xyzredirect">
   </Context>
</Host>

<Host name="www.xyz.com" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
   <Context path="" docBase="wwwxyz">
   </Context>
</Host>

Put following code in webapps/xyzredirect/index.jsp
<%
        //send HTTP 301 status code to browser
        response.setStatus(response.SC_MOVED_PERMANENTLY);

        //send user to new location
        response.setHeader("Location", "http://www.xyz.com";);
%>