> From: harsh112 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: tomcat-util.jar and catalina-util-xml.jar not found
> in tomcat 6.0though they were in use in web-application
> developed on tomcat-5.x
>
> Now, this application requires upgrade to tomcat-6.0.16 which
> doesn't have tomcat-util.jar and catalina-util-xml.jar under
> it's lib directory though other jars from server/lib (5.x) are
> found under lib (6.x) directory.

The classes from tomcat-util.jar are now in tomcat-coyote.jar, at least
all the ones I spot checked.

There is no catalina-util-xml.jar in any 5.5 download that I can find,
so I have no idea where you might have gotten that one from.

> 2. By using tomcat-util.jar and catalina-util-xml.jar from
> tomcat-5.x release with tomcat-6.x, the application works fine.

Perhaps, but have you tested every possible execution path?  I wouldn't
count on it.

> Is this advisable to just copy the jars from a previous release
> (5.x) to some current release?

Definitely not.  Lots of things were restructured between 5.5 and 6.0,
so you're really asking for trouble by running blindly ahead.  You need
to examine the 6.0 APIs and make sure your realm is still compatible
with them:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/api/index.html

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.