Hi,

I have an existing Tomcat configuration that is working well. However, it is running version 4.1.31. We are updating the platform, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to update Tomcat. Unfortunately (??) I must stick with the Tomcat 4.1 release.

I have a test machine on which I have installed 4.1.37. I only had one issue with the upgrade -- the authentication was not working quite as well as it was before. While it worked, I had one issue -- when the mysql connection would timeout (after 8 hours by default), the authentication would stop working completely. With tomcat 4.1.31, there would be an exception w/ stack trace, but it would reconnect and work right away.

I was authenticating using a mysql database through the JDBCRealm. I found some posts in the archives ( http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg149130.html) indicating that switching from the JDBCRealm to DataSourceRealm would resolve the issue, so I have done so. In the process I also added the autoReconnect parameter to the connection URL (i.e. jdbc:mysql://localhost:3325/authority?autoReconnect=true )

I suppose I should note that my configuration is now essentially straight out of the JNDI datasource HOWTO. I of course changed the username & password, the port number, and the database name.

I have authentication working with the new configuration. However, after a mysql connection timeout, the first attempt to authenticate always fails. The second attempt is successful.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

Thanks for your time.

--
Rob