Christopher Schultz  wrote:
Yes, using DataSourceRealm is the preferred configuration.

Thank you for confirming that :)

[...] By the way, there's no reason not
to upgrade to the most recent Connector/J, either.

Sorry..  are you referring to the mysql-connector JAR file?  In my
troubleshooting process I upgraded that to 5.1.6 (i.e.
mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar).  Obviously it didn't fix things,
but it didn't seem to hurt either :)

Yes. You should use the validationQuery attribute on your <Resource>
element.

Thanks.  After searching Google to find an example (I'm lazy, shoot me!
:-D  ), I added this to my server.xml file.  I also removed the
autoReconnect parameter from the connection URL.  This does appear to
have resolved the issue!

Thanks to you, and to David Smith, for your thoughtful and clear responses!

--
Rob