Lucas wrote:
To answer the original question, there is a
> mechanism that Tomcat provides to handle the
> specific thing you want to achieve. The solution
> is very Tomcat specific, so I do not really
> recommend it, anyhow, if you really _need_to_have
> _this_ then the way to achieve it is the following:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I am out
of luck because we're using a different web
container. Even though there's a ton of different
web containers, they all seem to use Jasper so
that's where I was attempting to tackle the
problem.

But, referring to your specific suggestion, I
wonder if there would be a problem. When I was
browsing the Jasper source, I noticed that it
caches the resolved JSP/tag files. Which means
that if I only change the resolution mechanism,
it won't work. Because unless I am also able to
modify the cache ID, then whichever source file
is resolved first for a specific JSP/tag, then
that one will be cached and be returned the next
time it's referenced, even if the user's skin is
different. (If that makes any sense.)

PS: This will make yous web app not 100% standard,
> and if you have to migrate this behavior to other
> web containers, it might get trickier, so be sure
> that you really need this.

Understood. Which is also why I'm hoping that
the Jasper developers would be open to patches
that allow it to be extended in this way.

Ahh, just one more thing, do not even try to
> modify Jasper itself unless you know what you
> are doing; Most people experimenting with
Jasper end up in nothing.

That way leads madness. Got it. :)

-AndyC