Alan Chaney wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong but you want to have a
> level of configuration which is more than just
> appearance.

It's mostly for appearance but that also ties in
with functionality. For example, if a page displays
the preferences that a user can change, a skin
author can change which preferences are "available"
by rewriting the prefs page to not include those
elements. But these changes are specific to a
class of users that are assigned (or have chosen)
that skin.

The next thing which isn't clear to me is at who
> will choose the feature set. Is this going to be
> a runtime thing or a startup configuration thing?
> Will your end-users be able to configure things
> or will it be the result of specific programming
> work?

These changes will be made by customers themselves
or professional services.

We provide a tag library that exposes all of the
functionality of our web application. We use this
tag library to build the default skin of the app
but customers often want to tweak the appearance
in ways that go beyond simple CSS changes.

In addition, right now there is no way for them
to localize their changes to a particular skin.
If they make changes to a presentation tag (or
JSP) then all other skins see those changes.

And one of my primary goals is to allow users to
create custom skins without any configuration
changes to the web container. Just drop in the
skin and it works.

I'm currently exploring ways to work around the
problem within the confines of what JSPs allow.
But I'm having limited success with that route...

-AndyC