just 2 cents, if your 8 IEs are running in one process, which is
default to my knowledge, they are sharing the same urlhelper/toolkit
which default to 4 max parallel connections.
I suggest you write a small java programm that tests it for you (with
commons-httpclient) or use jmeter or at least wget/curl.

regards
Leon