Quoting "Caldarale, Charles R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Are you by any chance using the 3rd-party repackaged version of Tomcat
that came with your Linux distribution?  If so, throw it away, and
download and install a real one from tomcat.apache.org.  The 3rd-party
junk has caused numerous problems over the years.

You might as well use Tomcat 6.0 if you're just getting started.

 - Chuck

Thank you; I did just what you suggested and things are looking much better now in that the examples included with Tomcat 6.0.16 all seem to work. Outstanding. However, I still don't understand what is going on with JSPWiki, the package I got into this Tomcat stuff for. I mean, I move JSPWiki.war into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps and tell my browser to go to
     http://localhost:8080/JSPWiki/
As if by magic, this seems to trigger a process by which the directory $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/JSPWiki is generated from JSPWiki.war. Unfortunately, this does not help much because when I, next, tell my browser to go to
     http://localhost:8080/JSPWiki/Install.jsp
as suggested by the JSPWiki installation instructions, all I get is

     HTTP Status 404 - /JSPWiki/Install.jsp
     type Status report
     message /JSPWiki/Install.jsp
description The requested resource (/JSPWiki/Install.jsp) is not available.
     Apache Tomcat/6.0.16

Still, $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/JSPWiki/Install.jsp *is* there and *is* readable.

Sakari Aaltonen