Date sent:              Mon, 09 Jun 2008 06:23:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:                   Raghavan_sat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                Problem in starting tomcat
To:                     users@tomcat.apache.org
Send reply to:          Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>

> Hi,
>    I downloaded apache-tomcat-5.5.23.tar.gz and extracted it. Am using
>    jdk
> 1.6.0_05.

Why use an older version of tomcat?

> When i start tomcat it starts fine and no error is been shown in the
> catalina.out. But when i open the browser and load
> http://localhost:8080/ its showing a blank page.

Then I doubt that is truly your tomcat page.

I would stop tomcat or restart your machine, before starting tomcat I would
make sure that a
program isn't listening on port 8080 and 8009.

netstat -anp

should do the trick.

Also just double check the catalina.out log.

> The OS is Fedora 8.

Off topic remark. I hope you don't use fedora on production machines. Fedora is
not
designed for that.

-Steve O.

Steve O.