> From: exkor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: URL is "null" and HTTP 404 error when using FROM
> authentication

You have some weirdness in your web.xml and context.xml that should be
straightened out before attempting any further analysis.

>    <servlet>
>        <servlet-name></servlet-name>
>        <display-name></display-name>
>        <servlet-class></servlet-class>
>        <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
>    </servlet>

I have no idea what should be done with an empty <servlet> declaration, and
it's possible Tomcat doesn't either; get rid of it.

>        <auth-constraint>
>            <role-name>admin</role-name>
>            <role-name>manager</role-name>
>        </auth-constraint>
>    <security-role>
>        <role-name>admin</role-name>
>    </security-role>

Either you have an extra role listed in <auth-constraint>, or you're missing
one under <security-role>; get them in synch.

> My context.xml:

Where is your context.xml file?  It should be in your webapp's META-INF
directory.  If you've changed the global one in Tomcat's conf directory, put it
back the way it was and put your <Context> element in the proper location.

> <Context path="/hamula" reloadable="true" crossContext="true"
> debug="99">

The path attribute is not allowed in a <Context> element in context.xml; remove
it.

>    <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>             prefix="localhost_hamula_log." suffix=".txt"
>             timestamp="true"/>

There is no <Logger> element in Tomcat 6; remove it.

>    <Resource name="jdbc/hamula"
>              auth="Container"
>              type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>              driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
> url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/hamula?autoReconnect=true"/>
>              username="root"
>              password="skywalker"
>          digest="MD5"
>              logAbandoned="true"
>              removeAbandoned="true"
>              removeAbandonedTimeout="10"
>              maxActive="20"
>              maxIdle="10"
>              maxWait="-1"/>

The above is obviously broken, since you have terminated the <Resource> element
twice.  Regardless, it seems odd for the <Realm> and the application <Resource>
to be using the exact same data base; is that what you really want?

>    <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"

Change the <Realm> back to the MemoryRealm for testing with FORM login; once
you get that working, then move on to the JDBCRealm.  One step at a time.

You say you have httpd 2.0 in the mix; don't use it for testing, go straight to
Tomcat's http port.  Only after that works should you introduce any further
complications.

All of the above may not to fix your problem, but it will remove some confusion
from your situation.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.