Hi Chuck

Thanks alot for this last bit about the query for the roles, it
actually made me realize what was wrong. The digest algorithm i used
to initialize my users table was different from the digest algorithm
used by tomcat. This is very surprising I've never seen encountered
something like that in the past. The algorith I used was from
www.md5oogle.com, so apperently they are using some different
encoding...

So I've changed the global sever.xml config and i see this in MySQL logs:
080614  9:57:35     118 Connect     [EMAIL PROTECTED] on hamula
                    118 Query       /* mysql-connector-java-5.1.6 ( Revision:
${svn.Revision} ) */SHOW VARIABLES WHERE Variable_name ='language' OR
Variable_name = 'net_write_timeout' OR Variable_name =
'interactive_timeout' OR Variable_name = 'wait_timeout' OR
Variable_name = 'character_set_client' OR Variable_name =
'character_set_connection' OR Variable_name = 'character_set' OR
Variable_name = 'character_set_server' OR Variable_name =
'tx_isolation' OR Variable_name = 'transaction_isolation' OR
Variable_name = 'character_set_results' OR Variable_name = 'timezone'
OR Variable_name = 'time_zone' OR Variable_name = 'system_time_zone'
OR Variable_name = 'lower_case_table_names' OR Variable_name =
'max_allowed_packet' OR Variable_name = 'net_buffer_length' OR
Variable_name = 'sql_mode' OR Variable_name = 'query_cache_type' OR
Variable_name = 'query_cache_size' OR Variable_name = 'init_connect'
080614  9:57:54     118 Query       SELECT password FROM users WHERE
uid = '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
                    118 Query       commit
                    118 Query       SELECT role FROM users WHERE uid = '[EMAIL
PROTECTED]'
                    118 Query       commit

And it actually lets me through when i try to login into the manager.

The problem im having right now (which i beleave is relatively simple)
is that my app doesn't connect to the DB. I configured server.xml back
to use MemoryRealm because i want only the app to use the DB. Then
I've changed my apps context.xml to this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Context path="/hamula" docBase="hamula"
        debug="5" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">

    <Resource name="jdbc/hamula"
              auth="Container"
              type="javax.sql.DataSource"
              driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
              url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/hamula?autoReconnect=true"/>
              username="root"
              password="skywalker"
              digest="MD5"
              userTable="users"
              userNameCol="uid"
              userCredCol="password"
              userRoleTable="users"
              roleNameCol="role"
              logAbandoned="true"
              removeAbandoned="true"
              removeAbandonedTimeout="10"
              maxActive="20"
              maxIdle="10"
              maxWait="-1"/>

</Context>

And my web.xml to this:
<web-app>
    <display-name>Hamula</display-name>
    <distributable/>

    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>
                  home.jsp
        </welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

    <resource-ref>
        <description>DB Connection</description>
        <res-ref-name>jdbc/hamula</res-ref-name>
        <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>

    <security-constraint>
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>Hamula</web-resource-name>
            <description>Pages accessible by registered users</description>

            <!-- PAGES ACCESIBLE ONLY BY REGISTERED USERS SHOULD BE
ADDED HERE -->
            <url-pattern>/home.jsp</url-pattern>
            <url-pattern>/events.jsp</url-pattern>
            <url-pattern>/profile.jsp</url-pattern>
            <url-pattern>/community.jsp</url-pattern>
            <!--
            THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF A PATTERN TO MATCH MANY PAGES
            <url-pattern>/protected/*.jsp</url-pattern>
       -->
            <!--
============================================================= -->

            <http-method>GET</http-method>
            <http-method>POST</http-method>
        </web-resource-collection>
        <auth-constraint>
            <role-name>admin</role-name>
            <role-name>manager</role-name>
        </auth-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

    <login-config>
        <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
        <form-login-config>
            <form-login-page>/index.jsp</form-login-page>
            <form-error-page>/index.jsp</form-error-page>
        </form-login-config>
    </login-config>

    <security-role>
        <description>
            The role that is required to access registered user functions and
            pages
        </description>
        <role-name>admin</role-name>
        <role-name>manager</role-name>
    </security-role>
</web-app>

I don't see any attempt for a connection in the mysql logs... very weird...
Do I need to define some global naming for the DB connection?

Thanks
-Assaf