Regarding the one that's working, it's probably working because it isn't letting the connection sit idle for such a long time.

There are a few things you might want to consider:

1. Just increase the connection timeout for your mysql service. The default is 8 hours. I have one third party app that keeps a connection for the life of an app (it doesn't use pooling at all) and have pushed up the timeout to 25hrs on that so connections wouldn't die during the normal Monday-Friday work week.

2. Add the autoReconnect=true to the end of your jdbc url (note: this is _not_ recommended by MySQL) and in the catch clause, re-establish the connection and try again.

3. Put in the validationQuery in your Resource def. I know you said you didn't want the extra overhead of a validaton query on every access, but it only takes an extremely small slice of time. Plus it only occurs when you get a connection. If you keep a connection for the life of your request, it only happens once per request. Please do close the connection and return it at the end of the request though.

Personally I'd just take the extremely tiny performance penalty of a validaton query as the simplest solution.

--David

Thomas Haines wrote:
Hello

I am experiencing a reproducible problem with connection pooling in Tomcat, although I suspect it is not a Tomcat issue per se.

I am running:
mysql server 5.0.58
tomcat 6.0.16
mysql connector 5.1.6
java version 1.5.0_13
all on CentOS 5

The following error occurs when there has been no activity between the DB and Tomcat for some period of time:

ERROR (21-06-08 07:59) [servlets.ViewEmail]
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: The last packet successfully received from the server was 46859 seconds ago.The last packet sent successfully to the server was 46859 seconds ago, which is longer than the server configured value of 'wait_timeout'. You should consider either expiring and/or testing connection validity before use in your application, increasing the server configured values for client timeouts, or using the Connector/J connection property 'autoReconnect=true' to avoid this problem. at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor17.newInstance(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:406)
at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createCommunicationsException(SQLError.java:1074)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.send(MysqlIO.java:3246)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:2060)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.execSQL(ConnectionImpl.java:2542)
at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.java:1734) at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeQuery(PreparedStatement.java:1885) at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:93) at com.ghf.util.MailoutUtils.getRecipientbyChecksum(MailoutUtils.java:123) INFO (21-06-08 08:01) [servlets.ViewEmail] : View email request successfully processed INFO (21-06-08 08:02) [servlets.ViewEmail] : View email request successfully processed

At this juncture, I am unsure how to remedy this. My only two thoughts are to either:

a) downgrade to MySQL Connector/J 5.0.8 and see if this fixes it;
b) add a while (!verified && attempts<2) type loop in getConnection() method to query the DB using a minimal query and then catch the first dead connection.

I'm not overly keen on introducing the additional overhead of querying the DB just to check if it is valid every time a request is made for a connection. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might debug/solve this issue? I've searched widely on Google to no avail. Interestingly, there is another instance of tomcat communicating with MySQL on the machine, exactly the same configuration, that doesn't suffer these woes. Any help would be appreciated!

Tom

Other relevant snippets:
META-INF/context.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context path="/dyn">
    <Resource name="jdbc/ghip" auth="Container"
        type="javax.sql.DataSource"
        maxActive="50"
        maxIdle="5"
        maxWait="10000"
        username="******"
        password="******"
        driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
        removeAbandoned="true"
        removeAbandonedTimeout="180"
        url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/ghip?autoReconnect=true"
    />
</Context>

DBPool.java exert:
/**
 * Method getConnection.
 * @return Connection New connection from the pool
 */
public static Connection getConnection() {

    Connection conn = null;

    try {
Context ctx = (Context) new InitialContext().lookup("java:comp/env");
        conn = ((DataSource) ctx.lookup("jdbc/ghip")).getConnection();
    }
    catch (Exception e) {
        e.printStackTrace(System.err);
    }