> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Is there anyway to detect that a web user is trying to access
> my site via an open/anonymous proxy? Other than building a
> list of open proxy IP addresses and checking against it? This
> list would be huge and ever changing. There must be an easier
> way. Sorry if this post is slightly OT.

Open/anonymous proxies deliberately have signatures that are almost identical
to any other proxy, so there's no reliable way of knowing based on features of
the request.  You need that list.  Unless someone else maintains it (and you
trust them to correctly classify proxies), you'll have to build it yourself.
If someone else maintains it, you may be able to use it.

What on earth is the use case, if you don't mind me asking?

                - Peter