> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> It's to keep undesirables, who have been banned, off from a
> social networking site.

How on earth do you identify the undesirables in the first place?  For most
users, all they need to do is clear the cookie cache and drop their broadband
connection for long enough to be assigned a different IP address next time they
connect.  Or just go to a different Internet café.  Voila - new identity!

Aside: I'm very familiar with the problem - I've run a MUD since 1990, which is
an early form of social networking site.  We've had 18 years of trying to find
a good solution to this problem.  We've never come up with a workable technical
solution - they've *all* been human solutions involving better and faster
moderation.  All the technical solutions we've devised have been trivial to
bypass by any user who has the recipe - and, in these days of the Internet,
it's very easy for one technically competent undesirable to publish the recipe
and all the other idiots to follow it.

                - Peter