> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Behalf Of Tyler DeWitt
> Subject: Individual servlet statistics
>
> I was curious if anybody knew of some software that
> tracked the memory and cpu usage of each servlet that
> was running on a Tomcat instance.

You can't directly get memory usage on a servlet basis, but any of the heap
profilers can capture the call stack at object allocation time; even the simple
one that ships with the JDK (hprof) will do that.  There's a noticeable
performance impact, of course.

As far as CPU usage, pretty much all of the profilers (including hprof) can
tell you how much time is spent in individual methods, and this has less of an
impact that heap monitoring.  Also, the MoSKito package can insert code to
observe CPU usage on a webapp basis; not sure about individual servlets:
http://moskito.anotheria.net/howto/HowToMonitorExistingServletInTomcat.html

We've used Wily Introscope in the past with good results, but it ain't cheap.

Some recent tool updates from Sun might be of interest:
http://java.sun.com/performance/jvmstat/index.html

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.