Thanks for the reply.

I'm aware of the need for writable work directory. I can only assume that
GoDaddy has setup the server so that the directory is writable during
deployment procedure but not during application execution (apart from jsp
compilation). And I can guess (without looking onto tomcat code) that the
problem here is that Tomcat tries to write something that it does not need
to do during normal servlet execution. But that does not help me with my
problem.

As for the Tomcat being old I'm aware of that too. And so is GoDaddy.
They provide java as an extra service and their attitude towards Java
users is that "We provide you no assistance and we will prevent you from
doing any harm to other users and yourself" :) I would not recmmend it as
a service provider to any other but for the ones that search for a cheap
java hosting provider. So I'm not holding my hopes up for getting any help
from there to this problem either.

Regards,
Ilari