Hi
  Add  -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError option to you JVM parameter. It
will dump the heap (in hprof format) on OOM. You can take the hprof file
and then analyze using Eclipse MAT (Memory Analyzer tool). This will
give you information on which objects are getting used most. Based on
that you can find out the corresponding application code and check
whether there are memory leak exists in the code.
  The random slowness is usually associated with GC. Enable verboseGC
with timestamp option and then check whether the GC is happening at the
corresponding time of slowness.

Suren