Caldarale, Charles R ha scritto:
adds unnecessary complexity and impacts performance for dynamic content.

If I use an external directory, it would be difficult
to make those files accessible to the webpages...

It's not really difficult.  Define a <Context> element for an additional webapp that targets
the external directory via a docBase attribute, and place that <Context> element in
conf/Catalina/[host]/[newAppName].xml; use something like "images" (without the quotes) for
[newAppName].  Tomcat's DefaultServlet will happily retrieve and display images or other static
content from there when referenced via http://[host]/[newAppName]/[file].[type].

 - Chuck

Uhm, maybe I'm not understanding, but... what if [newAppName] needs to be reloaded? I'm going to loose everything as before, aren't I? I need a place to put files, so to forget to save them when I need to republish anything. Consider this situation: I'm on vacancy (ok, that's SCI-FI) and a colleague of mine (that isn't a TC master) wants to deploy an updated web project (let's say a .WAR file) without my help. He can't do that now, because he doesn't know how to access via ssh to the server, backup the files and so on..