I've upgraded to httpd-2.2.9 and added ping=120 to my BalancerMember
line and the connection still times out and becomes hung. The only thing
I'm getting on the logs is the following:

        [Thu Jul 03 14:02:12 2008] [error] (70007)The timeout specified
has expired: ajp_ilink_receive() can't receive header

In fact, this is my ProxyPass (BalancerMember) line:

        BalancerMember ajp://application:8009/myapp max=10 smax=6 ttl=30
ping=120 route=jvm1

Is there a way to verify that it is indeed sending traffic across the
lines?
--

Richi

-----Original Message-----
From: Rainer Jung [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 5:05 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Problem with mod_proxy_ajp Connection Timeout

Plana, Richard schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Our Apache httpd proxy connects to the two tomcat servers
> (load-balanced) through a network device that performs NAT.
> Unfortunately, when the connections go idle (and it happens quite
> often since it's a currently low-volume application), the NAT box
> seems to lose the TCP session. The Apache httpd remains connected
> (ESTABLISHED using netstat), but the connection on the Tomcat servers
> aren't reflected on that end. Performing an "apachectl graceful" gets
> the server to re-establish the connection.
>
> I'm wondering what my options are to fixing this? I tried adding a
> ProxyTimeout 60 option, but that didn't seem to work. Is there a way
> to tell mod_proxy_ajp that if it's idle for a given amount of time to
> close the connection? (And establish a new one when a request comes
> in)

Look at

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html

especially search for "ttl" and "smax" for closing idle connections. In
addition "ping" helps in detecting broken connections. In order to use
ping, you should use httpd 2.2.9, because there have some recent fixes
with AJP ping in mod_proxy_ajp.

Regards,

Rainer