Thanks for the help!
The problem was a missing step in the configuration document
(http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/iis.html )
which I found in http://www.cflex.net/showFileDetails.cfm?ObjectID=296)
-

Next add a Web Service Extension.  This needs to be done manually
because the install works for IIS 5 and 6, but "Web Service Extension"
only applies to IIS 6.

Open the ... Administrative Tools, Internet Information Services
console.
In the tree on the left, click " Web Service Extensions"
In the right hand pane, click "Add a new Web Service Extension"
For the Extension Name, enter: Jakarta Tomcat
Click the "Add" button.
Browse and select C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta
Isapi Redirector\bin\isapi_redirector.dll
Click the "Allow" button.  DO NOT MISS THIS STEP!
>From the "Services"  MMC, restart "IIS Admin"

If someone could update the document that would be great!
Thanks again - Mike