MartinOShea wrote:
I have used request.getRemoteUser() at various points in the application to
identify the current user when they are authenticated by Apache Tomcat.
However, request.getRemoteUser() does not tell me when the  user logged in
or off.
request.getRemoteUser() tells you if the user is authenticated.

Does anyone know a way that the login and logout events can be recorded by
an event in a program, a session object and so on?
Have you looked at session listeners?

It depends what you mean by login and logout.
If login is the transition from request.getRemoteUser()==null to request.getRemoteUser()!=null and logout is when the session is invalidated then a combination of request.getRemoteUser() and a session listener should be all you need.

Mark