A couple of suggestions:

1. Drop the CLASSPATH from bashrc. It'll cause all sorts of weird problems. Plus the jars you added are automatically added by tomcat's own internal classloader. No need to explicitly declare them anyway.

2. Check you logs for what happened during startup up to the moment of your request. That should help a lot in determining what happened.

--David

Nadun Herath wrote:
I am a newbie to tomcat. I installed it ubuntu

added the following line to bashrc file

export
CLASSPATH=/usr/local/tomcat/common/lib/jsp-api.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/common/lib/servlet-api.jar

When I run startup.sh it runs ok. Giving this message

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

But when I type localhost/8080 it says can't connect. What is the problem.
Please help. I thank you in advance.