----- Original Message ----- From: "swimming_rabbit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 9:48 PM
Subject: How to tell Tomcat to use an additional classpath other than web-inf/classes?

Does anyone know of a way to tell Tomcat to use an additional classpath
(other than WEB-INF/classes)  when loading an application? I've got an off
the shelf application that requires us to copy our custom classes into the
application's WEB-INF/classes/ directory every time we upgrade, which is
frequent. Ideally, I would like to put the upgraded files on nfs (which is
outside Tomcat folder) that Tomcat can pick up every time it is restarted.

3 choices that come to mind....

+ Make your own custom class loader...
+ Use Java's EX class loader mechanism... ie you can stick stuff in the JRE Ex folder... should work if no one upgrades the JRE
+ Use TC's POJO Application server.... my baby ;)
You can put your classes, JARs in a Tomcat on the other side of the world and they will still work ;)

You call em like this...
Class uiApp = vessel.getRemoteClass("com.yourco.the.class.to.run");

And thats it...

One TC at your office... with your classes in it... other TC's calling the above... "anywhere". This strange phenomenon is because TC just happens to be the most powerful application server on earth... but its a secret, dont tell glassfish ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.