Since you're talking nfs, I assume you're on a *NIX OS. How about use David Smith's idea to roll your stuff into one jar file, then use a symbolic link from that one jar file on your network share to the right tomcat directory?

David Smith wrote:
I would personally use a build tool like Maven to a) build your custom code into a jar file and b) build the final, customized app using resources from your custom code and the third party app. Then you have easy integration as new updates come out. Even if nothing else, build your stuff into a jar file that can simply be dropped into the WEB-INF/lib directory of the third party app.

--David

swimming_rabbit wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to tell Tomcat to use an additional classpath
(other than WEB-INF/classes) when loading an application? I've got an off the shelf application that requires us to copy our custom classes into the
application's WEB-INF/classes/ directory every time we upgrade, which is
frequent. Ideally, I would like to put the upgraded files on nfs (which is outside Tomcat folder) that Tomcat can pick up every time it is restarted.

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete the material from any computer.