And what's the best/most reliable way to deploy applications on tomcat?
Would be to expand directly inside the webapps? Wouldn't have any
issue of while copying the files tomcat would try to start the
incomplete app? What are your views on deploying applications on
production in tomcat? Or maybe would be to stop tomcat remove the old
app, add the war and re-start tomcat?

regards
emerson