----- Original Message ----- From: "Foley, Tara (Citco)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 12:20 PM
Subject: Running tomcat as a service - problem with shared drives

Hi

I have written a java application which is deployed on tomcat on a
windows machine.
I created a special user account with full read/write access to a
shared network drive.
When tomcat is started from the console under this user account it is
able to write to the shared drive.
When I start tomcat as a service under this account, it cannot access
the network drive (It says: path not found).
I am using UNC paths and not mapped drives.

The account under which tomcat is running as a service is the same as
a regular user account accept that it has admin rights on the shared
drive.
I have googled for an answer to this and all information I can find
indicates that the user account I created should have access  if UNC
paths are used.
Is there something else I need to do?  Any help appreciated.

Foley, you seem to be doing it right...
If the exact same user works from login and test, then it should work from the
.\user service also....

I think its a subtle bug in the code... perhaps print the path to a log...
and run in the service... maybe you'll see it... probably a silly thing...

If its two similar user names... not the actual same user... then its probably something like
System.getProperty("user.home") catching you...
ie that moves everytime a username changes... even if they do have the same permissions...

If the path was right... I'd expect permission denied... but you getting path not found... I think the code is not doing what you think its doing... maybe

... good luck
The only real POJO Application Server.