----- Original Message ----- From: "Leon Rosenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: Newbies, becareful of pure cookie based magic... theres a few gotcha's

I think you are speaking about JSF and I think you are completely
misunderstanding the concept.
The diversification is done via parameters just as same as it's done
via content path or 'visible' parameters in
old school frameworks. The actual problem is that everything is sent
via POST and that is or was a problem with google some time ago.
But if you are creating a login protected site for members, why the
hell should you care about google?

Just separate seo-related content from the application and be happy.
The seo guys are happiest with php anyway.

Leon... what is it that it all done with a POST?
All I've noticed is that someone is asking questions, how do I get my site onto google, how do I get the proxy server to cache, and when you try help them it becomes apparent that its all behind one url... and then I really dont know what to tell em, other that redesign your site, sorry... Its actually difficult to imagine a site built using just using TC technology having a single url, its got to be coming from one major control servlet that even does things like include static content and ajax is used incorrectly.
I tend to agree with this guy for instance...
http://www.webpronews.com/expertarticles/2006/11/21/ajax-and-search-engines
Ajax or XMLHttpRequest can use a post, but I've never used it that way, for the most part is always a get on our stuff?

Whether public or private I think anyone should be thinking about the possibility of indexing their site. I dont think its impossible at all to make a cookie driven site search engine friendly, but it doesnt seem be happening...

Without even taking technology, if one minute the content behind a url is "cars for sale", and the next minute its "top sales man of the year", how do you index that? And if a user is wanting to pull TC apart to get at Vary: ETags... wonder why that is... maybe another single url site got em ;)

Anyway that all I'm saying because I think after 6 months of hard work and design if developers do find themselves in this position, its a real gotcha...

Probably can be avoided or done correctly in any framework... but they getting caught... thats all I'm trying to say to developers, because once there, how do you help them?