Hi David,

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/tooldocs/windows/keytool.html
says there are two modes for importing certificates.

 1. You choose an alias, which is already present in your keystore.
    keytool will assume, that the cert is a certificate reply (which is
    probably wrong in your case)
 2. The choosen alias is not present in your keystore.
    keytool thinks the certificate is a trusted certificate.

Since I think the second case is the one you are facing. You could either
choose another alias and change your code to use the new alias name, or
get rid of the old certificate (atleast change its alias).

WARNING
I haven't tried if it will work, and I really don't know if it should
work. So you really really should read the documentation and save the
original keystore first.

Bye
 Felix