André Warnier wrote:
[...]
I wanted to add something to my previous hypothesis that

I believe that, in theory, the <meta http-equiv="xxxx" content="yyyy" ... > tag in the html document, should have the same effect as if the server, in the HTTP headers of the response, had sent a header like
xxxx: yyyy
before sending the actual content of the html page.

The reference here
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.2

seems to say that it is the other way around :
If the (html) document contains a tag
then the HTTP server (presumably by scanning the document prior to sending it to the client) *might* use the content of this tag to add an additional HTTP header to the response sent to the client.

Now, this would suppose that the HTTP server (Tomcat in this case)
1) scans the html pages going out before starting the response
2) effectively adds a HTTP header when it finds ditto tag above in the html document header.

Neither of which I am sure of.  Gurus ?

The next questions would be :

1) when IE receives the response from the HTTP server, does it effectively take into account a HTTP response header like
or does it ignore it ?
On past form, IE has a tendency to ignore a lot of things the server is telling it, and using its own obscure logic to second-guess the server.

2) If IE does not take the HTTP server's HTTP header
into account, does it itself then interpret the <meta > tag in the html document ?