----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnny Kewl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: question : encounter java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out occasionally

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Wang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 7:11 AM

Hi Mark,

In order to find out if the problem of Request.getParameter("parm") return
null (missing post
body part) is related to http keep-alive,  We've tried to reduce
the KeepaliveTimeout setting in
Apache httpd server from 15 seconds to 5 seconds,  the strange thing
happened, We found
the null parameter count was raised from 400/per-day (in average) to 900
times/per-day.
The next step we are going to disable the keep-alive and see what will
happen, will let you
know the result for reference.

If disabling keeplive could resolve this problem, the mysterious part then
is why the
the browser get stuck on uploading the post body part always.

James, what is actually doing the post?... Ajax?
Look I dont know, but it smells like a data size problem...
Something like a header size is saying... you going to get 500 bytes and only 499 come in... so now the browser is waiting for the stupid server to reply, and the server thinks the stupid browser is just slow... eventually TCP sockets say... good bye, you guys are just too slow. So socket time out, I think, is not the real issue... some header size is wrong... maybe something subtle like its multibyte and the header size is calculating bytes. If you click twice and then the 1st param comes in... it sounds very much like a header size calc is out...
I dont know... but thats what I'd be looking for...

Another thing you can try... if its Ajax, is set it to http1.0
It will work... but there will be some data missing...
Then you'll know for sure its a data size issue...

Have fun...
The only real POJO Application Server.