Again the issue of the logs.

According to:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

1) I add log4j-1.2.15.jar and commons-logging-1.1.1.jar inside my common/lib
2) I create a log4j.properties inside common/classes with the following content:

  log4j.rootLogger=ERROR, R
  log4j.appender.R=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
  log4j.appender.R.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd
  log4j.appender.R.File=/dev/servers/apache-tomcat-5.5.26_fe/tomcat.log
  log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n

Result:

1) a rotateable tomcat.log should be created, containing only error logs
2) catalina.out would have all log4j messages, which would be
redirected to tomcat.log

Well, it doesn't actually happen.

- The tomcat.log is actually created, but it still contains all of
debug/info messages.
- catalina.out still has all log4j messages.

Could someone confirm what is the right behaviour?

regards
Emerson