Krapacs,

Krapacs Ambrose wrote:
> I have to say that I do not think Tomcat is doing the right thing in
> this particular situation. There should be some sort of security
> exception being thrown indicating that the socket connection was being
> block by tomcat's security manager.

There was (from your original post):

>     com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications
> link failure
> Last packet sent to the server was 0 ms
> ago.(jdbc:mysql://localhost?user=invuser&password=admin))
>
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:852)
>
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.access$1100(PageContextImpl.java:71)
>     org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl$12.run(PageContextImpl.java:768)
>     java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:766)
>     org.apache.jsp.install_jsp._jspService(install_jsp.java:141)
>     org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
>     javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
>
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:374)
>     org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)
>     org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
>     javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
>     sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

>     java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
>     org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:244)
>     java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>     javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:537)
>     org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute(SecurityUtil.java:276)
>
> org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.java:162)

Note the "CommunicationsException" being thrown from the doAsPrivilege()
method: that's a dead giveaway that it's a security error (at least to
those of us who have seen them before). You're right: the error message
could have been a bit better, but it's no shock that's what happened.

> I did play around a little bit with
> the policy files in my /var/lib/tomcat6/conf/policy.d directory and I
> believe I found where I need to do this because I found an example
> policy very similar to what you suggested. I got it to work without too
> much trouble but then I ran into other security problems with my
> application reading and writing files within its WEB-INF directory so I
> will have to spend some more time with the tomcat docs and figure out
> what permissions my application requires. After days of troubleshooting
> this I'm more than happy with turning off the security manager and
> spending some time learning how to actually configure it properly.

SecurityManagers are such a pain in the ass IMO. If you're writing your
own applications and deploying them yourself, I say give up on the
SecurityManager because you're not protecting yourself from anyone but
yourself. SecurityManagers are best used when either untrusted or
partially-trusted code will be running in your Tomcat instance. I'm sure
a lot of folks will disagree with me on this one, but the
SecurityManager is more trouble than it's worth if you ask me.